Today We Filed Our Closing Argument in this Complex Appeal
Livable Phinney’s attorney submitted to the Hearing Examiner the 70 page “brief” summarizing the reasons that the permit for this 57-unit-with-no-parking project should be vacated and that the City should use its SEPA authority to properly mitigate impacts the project will create instead of being an advocate for the developer’s interests.
What We Want to Accomplish with a Positive Decision by the Hearing Examiner
- Get full disclosure of the impacts on parking and mitigate them with an appropriate amount of on-site parking
- Get increased (equitable) setbacks on the northeast side of the building
- Ensure that SEPA protected view of Green Lake are preserved by reducing the height of Phinney Flats
- Pull back the clerestory structures to let more sun light reach the building to the north as required by code
- Use actual bus performance data (not just the schedule) to con rm the 15-minute headway criteria is met before granting parking waivers for all future development
Please, Join the “Fund an Hour” Campaign
This has been a long and expensive appeal. The hearing itself consumed 3.5 days, not counting all the preparations time in advance. Many more hours were needed to prepare drafts, review and finalize our closing argument. We are continuing our fundraising efforts to cover all the legal costs.
Each hour of preparation and hearing cost around $300. If you can fund an hour (or half hour!) please make your contribution to Livable Phinney. Tell your friends in Ballard, Greenwood, Fremont, Roosevelt, Eastlake, West Seattle, Wallingford – all over Seattle—that we need their support. Our win will be everyone’s victory in restoring some rationality to the amount of parking needed by all the new development that’s coming our way.
Please donate online, or send a check to Livable Phinney, 6537 Greenwood Ave. Seattle, WA 98103, or drop off a check at the HomeStreet Bank at 73rd and Greenwood. To join our mailing list, or to ask us a question, please email us at LivablePhinney@gmail.com.